About me

My photo
The Dark Thought, the Shame, the Malice. I meet them at the door Laughing and invite Them in. -Rumi.............. Otherwise they just keep bothering me.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bittersweet

A fellow bat friend just excitedly informed me that they posted the Bat blitz info. She is planning on going since its in the Florida panhandle this year(!). Usually, I end up having to drive to SC, NC or GA or somewhere in that area so what a treat that its finally close to home! To make things even more awesome, they plan on doing a survey at the GTM reserve where my batty friend is a biologist. She has been working with a bat biologist from my area (did not even know that he was so close to me when I met him last fall!) to set this up for almost a year. Great plans have been made and executed and finally confirmation of all this awesome battyness.

But I can't go.

The blitz is happening right when I am midway through my Ireland trip. Its not usually until mid to late summer, but alas I am assuming since its Florida and practically summer year round, the event was moved up a few months (?) Who knows, le sigh, I was so hoping (and counting on) the usual scheduling. So while I will be walking through old castles and looking for pots of gold (or lucky charms?) in the green hills of the emerald isle. My beloved blitz will be happening in practically my own back yard. sniffle.

Don't get me wrong, I am SO happy that I have this chance to go to Ireland. There will be many more blitzes, most likely. This one was special though in that I could really network with bat biologists in my own state. Especially, since I'm having doubts about vet school.  I WANT to go to vet school more than anything. Being a veterinarian is part of the Ultimate Goal, however I am having a really hard time with some of the math and chem. I'm just not sure if I can get through it. I hate having doubts, but I am also facing a real reality that it may be the universe telling me its just not in my Plan. Maybe I am supposed to go into field biology like I initally intended.

Time will tell.

So, sadly, the bat blitz for 2012 is off the list due to scheduling conflicts. I do have another bat opp although less field related. The NASBR conference is in the fall so I am planning on making that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment